Young Blues through in extra time

Ipswich Town 3Portsmouth 2(after extra time)Ipswich Town needed an extra-time goal from substitute Danny Haynes to go through to the fourth round of the FA Youth Cup.

By Dave Vincent

Ipswich Town 3

Portsmouth 2

(after extra time)

Ipswich Town needed an extra-time goal from substitute Danny Haynes to go through to the fourth round of the FA Youth Cup.

Town dominated the game for the first 90 minutes but failed to put away their chances. Pompey grabbed a late equaliser to take the game into the extra half-an-hour.

Most Read

Ipswich battered the visitors' defence for most of that 30 minutes but only had one goal to show for it - and it was the best of the night.

Ipswich played keep-ball up and down the left touchline then moved infield with pass after pass. Finally, substitute Charlie Sheringham threaded the ball through for fellow sub Haynes to round the keeper and tuck it away.

Ipswich had dominated the first 45 minutes of the game and it was a surprise that it was still 0-0 at the break.

Soon after the restart, Pompey upset the formbook when captain Matt Day headed home a free-kick.

Ipswich continued to play good football and the equaliser came just a couple of minutes later.

Billy Clarke fed Liam Craig on the left wing and he drove forward to fire in a powerful cross-shot, which was parried out for James Krause to drive into the net.

Town keeper Shane Supple produced a good save to deny Pompey's Joe Bye and Ipswich dominated for the rest of the half. At the end of another fine passing move, Clarke was on the end of a through ball from Aidan Collins to tuck the ball past the visiting keeper to put Town 2-1 up.

Ipswich spurned a number of good chances throughout the remainder of the half. They should have gone further ahead when centre-back Collins advanced and smacked a tremendous volley against an upright after a delicate flick-on by Darryl Knights.

Substitute Liam Trotter hit the rebound but it went well wide. Then Knights himself missed a great chance to finish the game off, when he pulled the ball down in the penalty box and chipped the keeper but put it just over the bar.

With 15 minutes to go Pompey grabbed a shock equaliser. There was hesitancy in the Town defence and Pompey No. 10 Daryl Fordyce tried a shot that took a wicked deflection and then dipped into the net.

Ipswich's failure to capitalise on their chances looked to have cost them dear.

Ipswich regrouped in extra time and kept playing their slick passing football.

Knights twice went close and was denied by the keeper. Craig hit a 20-yarder, which the keeper kept out, and then Owen Garvan dribbled his way into the penalty box, only to be pushed over, but no penalty was given.

Craig hit another powerful drive which the keeper pushed round a post. From the corner by Haynes, a defender had to head off the line.

The teams turned round again still level but only a couple of minutes into this fourth period Ipswich went ahead.

They could have made it really safe with a fourth goal but somehow it stayed out.

One effort by Haynes came back off the bar and post and there was always the fear that the visitors would pile forward and bundle in a free-kick.

But it wasn't to be, and Town were through to face either Manchester United or Stoke City, who play their fourth-round game on Thursday.

Last night's teams

Ipswich: Supple, Synnott, Krause, Beveridge (sub Trotter), Collins, Casement, Lordan, Garvan, Clarke (sub Haynes), Knights (sub Sheringham) and Craig.

Portsmouth: D Harris, Bongas, Donaghey, Cousins, Day, Pearce (sub Roberts), Settle, Wilson, Carter-Harris, Fordyce and Bye (sub Compton).

Referee: T Howes

Attendance: 520

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter