Young Ipswich handballers win gold at The Copper Box
- Credit: Archant
The Ipswich Handball U16 girls took park in a friendly tournament at The Copper Box Arena at the Olympic Park in Stratford – and came back triumphant.
The other teams involved were Brighton, Ealing and Cambridge who, with the exception of Ealing, had not had much previous match experience.
The girls started the tournament against Brighton and having showed many signs of nerves before the match they immediately took control and won 8-0.
Ealing were the Suffolk squad’s strongest opponents – having been 3-1 down, Ipswich came back very strongly to get the scores level at full-time and draw 3-3.
Cambridge had grown in confidence as the tournament went on but Ipswich overcame it and went on to win the match 6-2.
That meant Ipswich won the tournament on goal difference, a terrific result.
The U16 girls have only been playing together since September last year, but five of the squad are playing for the East of England Regional Academy and it is testimony to the coaches of the club how far these girls have come on.
- 1 Suffolk mum diagnosed with terminal cancer after beating disease twice before
- 2 Matchday Recap: Town beaten 2-0 at Bolton
- 3 Developer chosen to build 3,000 new homes in Suffolk
- 4 Warning after 'Nottingham Knockers' visit homes in Bury St Edmunds
- 5 Motorist was three times the drink drive limit in Stowmarket
- 6 Teenage girl grabbed by man in seaside town
- 7 Bolton Wanderers 2-0 Ipswich Town: Disjointed Blues beaten for first time under McKenna
- 8 McKenna on Walton, Bonne and signing a new defender after Nsiala exit
- 9 'Concentration is massive' - McKenna on Town's 2-0 Bolton loss
- 10 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-0 Bolton loss
The club is always looking for new players, both boys and girls.
They meet on a Wednesday evening at Suffolk One (Juniors 6.15pm–7.15pm) and then Year 8 and above from 6.45pm until 8.30pm.
If you’re interested, please feel free to go along and give the sport a go.