Award-winning Suffolk artist Ania Hobson displaying new work in Venice Bienniale
- Credit: Archant
Suffolk-based contemporary painter Ania Hobson, winner of the Young Artist Award at last year’s BP Portrait Awards at the National Portrait Gallery, has been invited to exhibit at this year’s Venice Bienniale – one of the biggest art fairs in the world.
Ania Hobson, 29, who has a studio on the former Bentwaters airbase, was invited by the GAA Foundation to exhibit her work at one of their official collateral events with the European Cultural Centre.
The Venice Biennale art fair takes place every two years and attracts the very best artists from around the world. Ania specialises in contemporary portraits, and is showcasing paintings depicting Parisian cafe life.
Ania has made a name for herself as a contemporary female artist who has attracted the attention of the fashion press due to her interpretation and acknowledgement of modern style in her paintings, and this project in Venice comes hot on the heels of her recent sell-out solo show in Suffolk.
Her work hangs in a permanent collection in Mexico, the Fundación Amparo y Manuel, and is now being collected internationally.
You may also want to watch:
" I never imagined for a minute that I'd be where I am today with my career, I am so pleased that my work has attracted enough attention to get me to the Venice Biennale, as a young painter it's things like this that give me the drive to push further and higher."
The paintings will hang in Pallazzo Mora, a Venetian palace building which is the base for the European Cultural Centre, as part of an exhibition called 'Personal Structures' run by the GAA Foundation, who have also exhibited artists such as Jeff Koons and Yoko Ono.
- 1 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 2 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 3 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 4 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 5 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 6 Hadleigh home with loo in master bedroom hits the market
- 7 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 8 'One of the favourites for the division' - Fleetwood boss Grayson on Town
- 9 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 10 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
Ania's four paintings will be on show from May 11 until November 24.