Bury St Edmunds: Bellowhead to play at return of Abbey Fest
ABBEY Fest is returning to Bury St Edmunds this year and organisers have confirmed that Bellowhead will be performing on the opening night.
The event runs over three nights from Friday to Sunday, July 20 21, with the 11-piece band taking to the stage on Friday.
Bellowhead feature wild, rousing dance tunes, ballads and sea songs and mix music from around the globe; from big band to soul, jazz-funk to classical strings, with more than a dash of Music Hall and yet retain a passion for English traditional music.
They were the winners of the Best Live Band accolade at the BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards and the band’s latest studio album, “Hedonism”, released in October 2010 and recorded in Abbey Road Studios, has gone on to sell a 60,000 copies. They recently sold over 20,000 tickets on a sell-out UK tour.
Band-members, who are based all over the UK, include John Spiers (melodeon, concertina) and Jon Boden (lead vocals, fiddle), Pete Flood (percussion), Justin Thurgur (trombone), Brendan Kelly (saxophone, bass clarinet), Andy Mellon (trumpet), Paul Sartin (oboe, fiddle), Rachael McShane (cello, fiddle), Ed Neuhauser (helicon, tuba), Benji Kirkpatrick (guitar, mandolin, bouzouki) and Sam Sweeney (fiddle, pipes).
You may also want to watch:
More details of further acts are due to be released over the coming weeks.
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Spurs loanee Parrott set to return to Blues next season
- 4 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 5 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 7 Suffolk police teams to star in new documentary series on Dave
- 8 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 9 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 10 Witnesses sought after four-vehicle crash in east Suffolk