Well-known Angel Hotel canvas for fitting angel artwork
- Credit: Phil Morley
A new angel artwork has been created in Bury St Edmunds - fittingly at the famous Angel Hotel.
The mural, which is free for everyone to view, is by contemporary artist Rachel List.
Rachel, from West Yorkshire, gained prominence during the first lockdown with her painting ‘NHS Angel’ and currently has several of her artworks on display at the ‘Moments’ exhibition in Bury St Edmunds.
She was commissioned by the Angel Hill - located on Angel Hill - to create a mural outside the entrance.
Rachel said: "Being called the 'Angel' Hotel for me instantly brings forward images of white feathers; the hotel itself is also incredibly stylish image-wise.
"So, when they asked for a mural with a single angel wing, it was my aim to create something subtle that you could almost walk by. The key word being 'almost', something relaxing and welcoming for guests.
You may also want to watch:
"I used acrylics and masonry paint to create the mural but was under the mercy of the great British weather, which at the time was torrential rain. However, that can be part of the fun of a mural and the way I work, to create something in the moment."
Her original NHS Angel painting features in the Moments exhibition at Moyse's Hall Museum, and she also created one there as part of an event.
- 1 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 2 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 3 'I'll never shut up shop' - Cook on 2-2 draw at Cambridge United
- 4 Covid vaccine boosters now available at walk in sessions
- 5 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-2 draw at Cambridge
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-2 Cambridge draw
- 7 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 8 Have you had the 'worst cold ever' that is going round Suffolk?
- 9 Cambridge United 2-2 Ipswich Town: Blues let their lead slip again in draw
- 10 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
Fiona Bovill, group sales and marketing manager at Gough Hotels, is delighted with the new artwork at the Angel Hotel.
She said: “We invited Rachel List to create an artwork at the entrance to our hotel as her ‘Angel’ work was very appropriate for us. We are very pleased with the mural which leads guests perfectly into the hotel.”
The Moments modern art exhibition is on until September 30.
More than 10,000 tickets have already been sold for the exhibition, which includes work by Banksy and Damian Hirst.
Speaking just before Moments opened, Rachel said: "Street art is for the public. It's for the people to enjoy. It's about accessibility. I think that makes it more important to bring the work to small towns."
Admission is £6 for adults, £4 for concessions and children aged 5-16 years, and £15 for a family.
For more details visit the Moyse's Hall website or call 01284 706183.