Bury St Edmunds: World première evening for Sex and the Village at the Theatre Royal is next week
- Credit: Keith Mindham Photography
The red carpet is being rolled out at a theatre in Bury St Edmunds on Tuesday for a glitzy world première evening for a new musical comedy.
A number of high-profile guests - including West End stars - and local celebrities will be attending the glittering event for Sex and the Village at the Theatre Royal.
Bury St Edmunds Amateur Operatic and Dramatic Society (BSEAODS) won a national competition run by Perfect Pitch, the professional company which has developed and licensed the musical, to identify an amateur company to perform the world première.
Sex and the Village, by Susannah Pearse and Rebecca Applin, is being presented at the Theatre Royal from Tuesday to Saturday.
Mel Barnes, president of BSEAODS, said: “We are delighted that, following a national competition, Perfect Pitch Musicals of London selected our society to première this show. I think it says something about our reputation for staging excellent musicals, for which we have won several awards in recent years from the National Operatic and Dramatic Association (NODA).”
Although BSEAODS has its own production team and cast, Perfect Pitch has worked closely with the society to develop and polish the show.
Sex and the Village, which is suitable for family audiences, is described as a sort of “Vicar of Dibley meets Jam and Jerusalem”. The story is also topical with a village fighting to stop a supermarket giant’s plan to invade its peaceful space.
- 1 Matchday Recap: How Town's cup defeat to Colchester played out
- 2 Firefighters tackling fire near popular Suffolk hotel and spa
- 3 Town closing in on deal for experienced defender Keogh
- 4 Smoke seen across Ipswich as crews tackle large fire
- 5 Police attending 'incident' near town centre
- 6 'Childhood dream' as opening date nears for Suffolk coastal restaurant
- 7 Popular family-run butchers announces closure
- 8 Buy the bread everyone’s raving about at new Suffolk cafe
- 9 'Quite different to traditional gyms' Suffolk gym with a difference opens
- 10 Farmer 'heartbroken' as land sees fourth fire in 10 days
The BSEAODS team includes Louise Petch as director of the show, Simon Pearce as musical director and Jackie Strahm as cheorographer.
For tickets call the box office on 01284 769505 or visit www.theatreroyal.org