Go behind the scenes at Center Parcs with new Channel 5 show
- Credit: Archant
Channel 5 will tonight delve into the secrets of the company behind one of Suffolk’s best loved holiday parks - Center Parcs at Elveden Forest.
The Secrets of Center Parcs documentary, which goes out tonight at 8pm, lifts the lid on Britain’s leading holiday retreat. It explores how Center Parcs became the destination of choice for millions wanting a reliable holiday break in this country. Company insiders reveal how a Dutch idea became a British holiday institution.
Center Parcs have a holiday destination in Elveden Forest, between Bury St Edmunds and Thetford, which was one of the first forest sites in the UK to be opened.
The idea of an indoor/outdoor – forest/beach – active-yet-lazy – something for everyone holiday resort was originally developed in the Netherlands with the first Center Parcs Village opening at De Lommerbergen in Holland in 1968. There are now five self-contained sites in the UK.
Elveden Forest opened its ‘villa in the forest’ facility in 1989, two years after Sherwood Forest opened as the first UK venue, and its been a popular destination ever since, boasting more than 400 acres of forest to explore.
You may also want to watch:
Elveden is the only village to have Waterside Lodges, located on the banks of the largest lake to be found at any of the UK Center Parcs villages. It’s also home to the longest zip wire in the UK. Other treats in store include outdoor adventure play areas, family-friendly cycle paths, walks and the opportunity to spot beautiful Muntjac deer which roam through the trees.
The Covid-19 pandemic caused the holiday parks to temporarily shut their doors earlier this year but they have since re-opened inline with government regulations. Restaurants are open on a pre-booked basis and will deliver take-out to lodges, most activities are running but with reduced numbers and must be pre-booked, the cycle-centre has also re-opened.
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 3 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 4 Matchday Live: Town beaten 3-0 after Harrop's red card
- 5 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 7 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 8 Driver who killed 'dearly loved' man, 29, in crash is jailed
- 9 AFC Wimbledon 3-0 Ipswich Town: Woeful Blues well-beaten at Plough Lane in 'season-defining' game
- 10 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
The Subtropical Swimming Paradise has re-opened but has restrictions limiting the number of people using the facility at any one time which means that visitors can only access the facility for two 2-hour sessions during a three or four-night break or on four occasions for a seven-night break.
Secrets of Center Parcs is on Channel 5 at 8pm on Friday, September 11.