Colchester Rollerworld is venue for London band’s new video
- Credit: Archant
A casting call to recruit keen skaters for a music video at Colchester’s iconic rollerblading venue has received 60 responses in just 24 hours.
The appeal was issued by London-based band Young Astronaut, who will film footage for their new single, Chasing El Dorado, at Rollerworld on 26 February.
And the indie group, originally from the New Forest, have said the rink, at East Gates, is “absolutely perfect” for the band’s needs.
“We were looking for somewhere which had a classic skating look. The neon lights are fantastic and it’s one of the best rinks in the UK, so we were thrilled when Rollerworld accepted our request to film there,” said band member Chris Boakes, 27.
“Colchester is a great location for us as we’re currently based in London and it’s easy enough to get to – we’re originally from the New Forest. But when we saw Rollerworld we thought it was absolutely perfect for what we need.”
The shoot will follow the journey of a female protagonist who grows in confidence as the song progresses.
“The theme of the video is of making a decision. After quitting my job I went travelling in South America, hence the ‘frontier’. At first it was very difficult but I found my feet soon enough.
- 1 Firefighters tackle large blaze near Suffolk recycling centre
- 2 Matchday Recap: How Town's 3-0 win against MK unfolded
- 3 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Suffolk after heatwave
- 4 Popular carnival's firework display cancelled
- 5 A14 near Ipswich remains partially closed after fire breaks out
- 6 Road closed as emergency services called to single-vehicle crash
- 7 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their victory over MK Dons
- 8 Man suffers head injuries after being 'seriously' assaulted by 'several' men
- 9 Drought declared in Suffolk as temperatures set to soar this weekend
- 10 'A really special effort' - McKenna's verdict on 3-0 win v MK Dons
“So the shoot is based loosely on that experience – the main character enters the roller rink, falls down – but over the few minutes she builds up her confidence.”
Young Astronaut is formed of four young men, including Paul Meeson, 26, Chris’ brother Pete and drummer Niko. The group have a connection Chris describes as a “brotherly alliance.”
The band’s new single will be the first released from their next album, The Gold Frontier.
“Rollerworld creates a stunning backdrop to it and we’re so excited about it,” said Chris.
“Once the footage is edited, we should be able to launch the single in April.”