Dance legend Sleep cancels Spa show

LEGENDARY dancer and entertainer Wayne Sleep has pulled out of his appearance at the Spa Pavilion on Tuesday, February 8, due to lack of ticket sales.

Fitter than ever after a hip operation last year - which had a ten per cent failure rate - Precious Little Sleep is a celebration of his life and career; described by the 62-year-old as “a montage of my best spins from famous dances”.

“I could have ended up in a wheelchair, but I’ve got a new lease of life which is why I’m doing this tour,” said the star, who wowed Royal Opera House audiences with his performance in Cinderella just 12 weeks after surgery.

As well as a mix of routines spanning three decades – performed and choreographed by him - Sleep was set to share encounters with Charlie Chaplin, royalty, Morecambe and Wise, Aspel, Wogan, Parkinson, Bruce Forsythe, Mrs Merton and even Mr Blobby.

“I’m extremely disappointed he’s now not appearing. It was a really good show,” said the Spa Pavilion’s manager Julie Howes.


You may also want to watch:


“The promoter decided to cancel the show, not the Spa Pavilion, due to lack of support. You book shows because you think they’re going to sell well and unfortunately, for whatever reason, this one hasn’t. I think it’s the recession - Christmas isn’t long gone, petrol prices are up and all these things culminate; entertainment is a luxury.”

The theatre is contacting customers regarding refunds.

Most Read

Sleep’s show at Lowestoft’s Marina Theatre on February 5 has been postponed but he’s still scheduled to perform at the Colchester Mercury on March 24.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus