December 31: Film of the day
ARTS Editor Andrew Clarke makes his final selection of the best films on terrestrial TV over the festive period.
- The Sound of Music; BBC One, 3.30pm
The hugely successful Rogers and Hammerstein musical based on the true story of novice nun Maria, who is employed as a governess to the seven unruly Von Trapp children.
Their widowed father runs the house on military lines, but his new employee eventually brings fun and music back into his offspring’s lives and melts his heart in the process.
However, the Austrian family’s happiness is threatened by the looming threat of the Second World War.
You may also want to watch:
Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer are both superb and the story never fails to bring a tear to the eye.
- 1 13 Fire engines attend blaze at sugar beet factory
- 2 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 3 A14 reopens after one person taken to hospital following crash
- 4 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 5 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 6 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 7 Winners and losers: Hollywood ending, Bersant is back, fans get their wish
- 8 Man indecently exposes himself to dog walker
- 9 Affordable homes project proposed for Suffolk village
- 10 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143