Double win for Framlingham’s Ed Sheeran at the Brit Awards
- Credit: PA
Suffolk singer Ed Sheeran won the first and last awards given at this year’s Brit Awards.
Ed, from Framlingham, scooped Best British Solo Male and British Album of the Year at the glitzy ceremony at the O2 arena in London.
He beat stiff competition from Colchester’s Damon Albarn, George Ezra, Sam Smith and Paolo Nutini to claim the first prize of the night, best artist.
On receiving his award from Rita Ora and Orlando Bloom he said: “That’s a good way to start the night.”
He dedicated the win to his TV promoter Deirdre Moran, for whom this was her last event working with the singer.
You may also want to watch:
Ed added: “The first year I came [to the Brits] was 2011 and I met my TV girl Deirdre Moran, and she has taken me through.”
The singer, who went to Thomas Mills High School, received the last award of the night for best album from New Zealand actor Russell Crowe.
- 1 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 2 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 3 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 4 Suspected drink driver flees scene after car destroyed in crash
- 5 New online booking system for Suffolk recycling centres
- 6 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 7 Ndaba on Salford, Neville's advice, his brush with Ronaldo-mania and his goal of reaching the Ipswich Town first-team
- 8 Exhausted farmers cool off the combines after gruelling harvest
- 9 'We are sorry' - Council apologises for letting SEND children in Suffolk down
- 10 Ipswich Town players' FIFA 22 ratings revealed
His album, X, sold 5.8million copies worldwide in 2014.
On accepting the award he said: “Thank you so much for this.
“This album took a long time to make and to be happy with it.
“It has been a very good year for British music, and it is a night to celebrate the whole thing.
Although Ed came out top in the battle of the bands, it was pop legend Madonna who stole the show when she toppled down a set of stairs live on stage after a wardrobe malfunction.
The star was pulled down the steps by her cloak by a dancer on stage after the clothing was supposed to detach from her.
Ed Sheeran missed out on winning the Best British Single award with his hit Thinking Out Loud, which was claimed by Mark Ronson for his collaborative song with Bruno Mars, Uptown Funk.
He was also pipped to the post for the British Artist Video of the Year for his song Thinking Out Loud, voted on by the public, to boy band One Direction.
The event was being hosted by TV’s cheeky chappies Ant and Dec.
During an interview with the hosts in the audience Ed, speaking about the best single category, said: “Everyone said selling records was dead, but the five people in the category have disproved that.”
Ed performed his latest hit Bloodstream during the show.