DVD of the week: Eat, Pray, Love
Eat, Pray, Love (Universal, �15.99)
Based on a 2006 best-selling memoir by the American author Elizabeth Gilbert (she travelled the world after a divorce) this film works as a star vehicle for Julia Roberts (remember her?) and as a high gloss travelogue.
Roberts turns on that high wattage smile enough to make you quite like her character though you don’t really know why she is so unhappy with life and her weight problems seems to hinge on her not getting into size zero jeans.
She reminds me of the often glib characters in Sex and the City 2 but at least the scenery on her ‘spiritual journey’ is great as she passes through Italy, Bali and India.
Oh, and in a novel piece of casting Javier Bardem - last seen by many cinema-goers as the eerie assassin in No County For Old Men – plays her love interest.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Lorry driver hailed as hero after truck crushed in port accident
- 2 Woodbridge bar owner to fight £1,000 fine for Covid rule breach
- 3 Former Town defender could be in the frame to become Cook's No.2 after Richardson blow
- 4 Cage fighter Alex Reid jailed after OUR story exposes lie in insurance claim
- 5 Family's tribute to 'always smiling' Jack after tragic death aged 27
- 6 Missing dad wanted in connection with assault which happened day before he disappeared
- 7 Plans to create 'Suffolk Silicon Fen' killed by market forces
- 8 Air ambulance called to medical emergency
- 9 A12 closed following serious collision
- 10 Man taken to hospital after 40ft container drops on lorry cab