DVD of the week: Eat, Pray, Love
Eat, Pray, Love (Universal, �15.99)
Based on a 2006 best-selling memoir by the American author Elizabeth Gilbert (she travelled the world after a divorce) this film works as a star vehicle for Julia Roberts (remember her?) and as a high gloss travelogue.
Roberts turns on that high wattage smile enough to make you quite like her character though you don’t really know why she is so unhappy with life and her weight problems seems to hinge on her not getting into size zero jeans.
She reminds me of the often glib characters in Sex and the City 2 but at least the scenery on her ‘spiritual journey’ is great as she passes through Italy, Bali and India.
Oh, and in a novel piece of casting Javier Bardem - last seen by many cinema-goers as the eerie assassin in No County For Old Men – plays her love interest.
- 1 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 2 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 3 How have Suffolk's towns changed over the last decade?
- 4 Town closing in on permanent deal for keeper Walton
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: League One trio eye Preston defender
- 6 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 7 Suffolk mum diagnosed with terminal cancer after beating disease twice before
- 8 Anger as second homeowners set to receive £191million in Covid grants
- 9 PM ‘dropped a clanger’ with garden bash apology, legal expert suggests
- 10 Hughes nets a hat-trick for Town Under 23s as familiar face plays for QPR