Ed Sheeran makes star cameo in first episode of Game of Thrones season seven alongside Arya Stark
- Credit: Archant
Framlingham’s Ed Sheeran has made a fleeting cameo appearance in the first episode of the highly-anticipated new season of Game of Thrones.
The Suffolk singer had confirmed his appearance in the HBO fantasy hit earlier this year – but last night hinted to his fans that they might see him sooner than they think.
Posting a picture of two cats on his Instagram page, he said: “Sunday = cat picture. Also, watch Game of Thrones tonight x”.
The show aired at 2am this morning on Sky Atlantic but is being repeated tonight at 9pm.
The Shape of You singer appeared alongside Maisie Williams, who plays Arya Stark in the drama, as the seventh series got underway in the early hours of this morning.
You may also want to watch:
Ed divulged details about his appearance during a game of “beer pong” with radio host Tom Green in May.
He said he would appear alongside Williams and is reportedly a massive fan of Ed’s.
- 2 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 3 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 4 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 5 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 7 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson
- 8 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 9 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 10 Ed Sheeran announces three Wembley dates as part of = world tour
“I sing a song and then she goes, ‘Oh, that’s a nice song,’ and I go, ‘It’s a new one’,” he said.
In the episode, entitled Dragonstone, Arya comes across a group of Lannister soldiers enjoying a sing-song around a campfire having killed the Frey men who took part in her mother and brother’s murder at the Red Wedding.
Sheeran and his party offer Arya food and wine around a campfire before the youngest Stark daughter begins her journey to King’s Landing with the intention of killing Cersei.
David Benioff and DB Weiss, the series’ screen writers, told the South by Southwest Film Festival they had convinced Ed to appear after discovering Williams was a superfan.
“For years we were trying to get Ed Sheeran on the show to surprise Maisie and this year we finally did it,” they said.