Entertainment: X Factor’s Matt Cardle takes Christmas number one spot
X FACTOR winner Matt Cardle has clinched the top chart spot for Christmas with his debut single.
The 27-year-old - who hails from Little Maplestead near Halstead in Essex - won the coveted Christmas number one with his version of the Biffy Clyro tune When We Collide.
Cardle sold 439,000 copies of the track in the six days since his victory on ITV’s X Factor on Sunday night, giving him a lead of more than 300,000 over his nearest rival, Rihanna.
His planned celebrations involved “one or two beers”.
He said: “I can’t believe it. As if winning wasn’t enough. I honestly didn’t think I’d even make it on to the live shows, let alone win and now be the Christmas number one.
You may also want to watch:
“I can’t even begin to describe how if feels. It’s nuts, crackers and crazy. To think that many people have supported me and bought the record is absolutely mind blowing.”
- 1 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 2 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 3 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 4 5 places to avoid the crowds in Suffolk this summer
- 5 Two people injured after car flips over in east Suffolk
- 6 Town Transfer Talk: Latest on Coulson, Crooks, Bishop and Downes
- 7 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 8 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 9 'I am very, very excited' - Town teenager Gibbs completes Norwich move
- 10 Restraining order for venue boss who intimidated council leader's daughter