Essex: Stansted Airport features in new film Philomena with Dame Judi Dench and Steve Coogan
- Credit: Contributed
Stansted Airport’s passenger terminal is about to grace the silver screen again, this time in Dame Judi Dench’s new movie blockbuster Philomena which opens in cinemas on Friday.
A 200-strong cast and crew, which included comedian Steve Coogan, descended upon the airport last autumn to shoot scenes for the drama using the award-winning passenger terminal as a backdrop.
Kim Ruskin, Stansted Airport’s commercial filming manager, said: “We were delighted to welcome Dame Judi, Steve and the Philomena crew to Stansted.
“They filmed scenes at number of locations around the terminal, including check in and the domestic baggage reclaim hall. As always, we planned the shoot meticulously and nothing was left to chance to make sure it didn’t get in the way of the normal operation of the airport.
Stansted Airport has provided a film set to many movies and TV shows in the past including the third instalment of Christopher Nolan’s Batman saga The Dark Knight Rises, James Bond: Tomorrow Never Dies, Brigit Jones and the BBC’s hit comedy Come Fly With Me. Also filmed recently was Connection, a short movie by the Belarus Free Theatre starring Jude Law.
You may also want to watch:
Philomena, which is based on the book The Lost Child of Philomena Lee by Martin Sixsmith, stars Dame Judi Dench and Steve Coogan who play unlikely friends in a true story of one woman’s search for a lost son.
Directed by BAFTA winner Stephen Frears, Philomena opens in the UK and Ireland Friday.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 3 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 4 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 5 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 6 'Our most complete performance of the season' - Cook on 4-0 win at Portsmouth
- 7 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 8 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 4-0 win at Pompey
- 9 Family pay tribute to former Suffolk headteacher who has passed away
- 10 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star