Film review: Avengers Infinity War is a beautifully balanced and powerful instalment in the franchise
- Credit: AP
Unless you have been living with your head under a rock for the past year you will know that Avengers: Infinity War is one of the biggest films of 2018, if not the biggest.
It is a significant undertaking; the film features 23 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s heroes – including Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr) and Steve Rogers (Chris Evans)– uniting to protect earth and the titular stones from the genocidal clutches of Thanos (Josh Brolin).
It is to directors Joe and Anthony Russo’s credit that Infinity War is a beautifully balanced and powerful instalment in the franchise.
From the brutal opening sequence in which Thanos is introduced, to a chaotic scrap across New York and the devastating Wakanda-set finale, the Russo Brothers handle the film’s action sequences with aplomb, deftly blending its sparkling humour with its more pathos-laden moments.
It is testament to the strength of the Russo brothers direction and Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely’s screenplay that each of Earth’s mightiest heroes is given his or her moment to shine, Downey Jr’s sardonic Stark being a particular standout.
You may also want to watch:
It is Brolin, however, who impresses the most. The actor is magnetic as the terrifying, lantern-jawed antagonist and takes the film hostage whenever he appears.
Defying all expectations, the Russo brothers have delivered an electrifying experience that will leave fans of the franchise breathless.
- 1 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 2 'I absolutely want to be part of it' - Skipper Chambers on Cook and his Town future
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Town linked with Feyenoord defender as Edwards 'attracts interest'
- 4 Giant Noah's Ark stuck on Ipswich Waterfront
- 5 Paul Cook's takeover worry and why he cancelled today's pre-match press conference
- 6 Driver goes to court over speed camera calibration dispute
- 7 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 8 Closing coastal footbridge will have 'devastating' impact, pub owner says
- 9 Careless driver who caused fatal crash is jailed
- 10 Matchday Live: Goalless at the break in first game of a new era at Town