Film review: Thor: Ragnarok is one of the most exciting films of the year
- Credit: PA
Though visually breathtaking, the previous two Thor films –Thor (2011) and Thor: The Dark World (2013) - lacked the vim and vigour of other entries in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
With Thor: Ragnarok, however, New Zealand director Taika Waititi has delivered one of the most exciting and hilarious films of the year.
The film follows Thor, Chris Hemsworth, and Loki, Tom Hiddleston, as they fight to rescue the people of Asgard from the malevolent clutches of Hela, Cate Blanchett, the Goddess of Death.
Much of the film’s humour stems from the incessant bickering and backstabbing between Loki and Thor. Hemsworth and Hiddleston are a delight in their respective roles and it is a joy to see them flexing their comedic muscles.
Strong comic support comes in the form of Mark Ruffalo, returning as the emotive Hulk and his panicky, fiercely intelligent alter ego Bruce Banner.
You may also want to watch:
There are also scene-stealing turns from Tessa Thompson as glowering warrior Valkyrie and Karl Urban as Hela’s snarling henchman Skurge.
Despite these strong performances, Thor: Ragnarok is Waititi’s show. The Director’s absurdist humour and stunningly choreographed action sequences are what holds the film together and are its transcending pleasure.
- 1 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 2 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 3 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 4 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 5 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 7 'We were shamed'... Pompey boss Cowley offers no excuses
- 8 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 9 A14 roundabout lanes remain closed as burst water main repaired
- 10 Mike Bacon: Starting to walk the walk, I'm liking the way we move
Waititi’s third instalment is an exciting, visually inventive and deeply funny film and one of the finest in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.