Pub announces Christmas Day closure to give staff day with family
- Credit: Google Maps/Getty Images/iStockphoto
A pub in Needham Market has announced it will shut Christmas Day so its staff can spend more time with their families.
The Swan, in the town's High Street, had planned to be open for drinks on Saturday.
But a post on the pub's Facebook page said: "We have taken the decision not to open at all on Christmas Day to allow our staff this time with their families at this difficult time.
"We hope you can understand our decision."
Martin Waterworth, general manager at the Swan, was down to work the bar on Christmas Day but said the owners were also looking to protect staff due to Covid.
He said: "Our owner felt it wasn't necessarily appropriate. With a bit of a different crowd, people would be gathering at the bar.
"There's a lot of issues going around with Covid.
- 1 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 2 'I'm not here to settle' - Walton sets sights high after permanent Town move
- 3 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 4 Look inside 'immaculately presented' property with own bar and heated pool
- 5 'One or two we're speaking to' - McKenna on transfer plans
- 6 Town could lose its Post Office branch in triple closure shock
- 7 Ipswich Town sign Brentford full-back Thompson on loan
- 8 McKenna on offers for Harper and El Mizouni and Fraser's Town future
- 9 'It's what I know and love': Former lorry driver opens food truck on A12
- 10 Adventure Golf attraction set to make way for new homes
"I was going to see my family after work, but I'll be spending more time with the kids. That's always preferable."