Review, The Greek Hut: 'An authentic taste of Greece from new Ipswich restaurant'
- Credit: Nicola Warren
Nicola Warren tries out Greek street food from new Ipswich restaurant The Greek Hut.
On Saturday evening, when many people were heading down to Ipswich waterfront for a night out, my husband Phil went to pick our dinner up from a nearby restaurant.
The Greek Hut, on Pownall Road in Ipswich, opened for business in February this year, promising authentic Greek street food.
Since then, I have been seen many enticing pictures of their food on their Instagram stories.
We decided to try it out for dinner on Saturday evening. They aren’t delivering at the moment, so we placed our order over the phone before Phil went to collect it.
You may also want to watch:
On the menu are chicken or pork souvlaki (skewered meat), loukaniko (Greek sausage), vegan sausage, halloumi or vegan halloumi. You can choose to have them with fries in a wrap, with fries and pita in a box or just with salad.
Sides include sweet potato loaded fries and calamari with lemon aioli. Greek salad – with feta or vegan feta – is also available.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 3 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 4 Former judge's widow on trial for sex abuse of young boy in 1980s
- 5 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 6 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 7 Woman taken to hospital after being hit by car
- 8 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 9 Hospital waives car parking charges for 'those who need it most'
- 10 More than £23k raised in memory of mum who died 2 days after giving birth
Dips, which are served with warm pita bread, include tzatziki and smoked aubergine.
We ordered a halloumi box meal for me, pork souvlaki in a box for Phil, a side of red pepper hummus and pita for our daughter Jessica and an extra skewer of chicken for Phil and Jessica to share.
Though there is a dessert listed on The Greek Hut’s online menu, this wasn’t available on the day we ordered, although as we soon found out we wouldn’t need one anyway!
Phil arrived home more quickly than expected with a The Greek Hut branded paper bag, containing branded boxes which had kept the food surprisingly warm.
The food was nicely presented, and the aroma when we opened the boxes was mouth-watering!
The team at The Greek Hut use a charcoal grill and this gave my pita bread a lovely smoky flavour. Delicious with the strips of halloumi and fresh lettuce, onion, tomato and Greek yoghurt dip.
The fries, though generously doused in oregano and paprika, didn’t have an overpowering flavour and worked really well with the rest of the dish.
Phil said both the pork and the chicken was tender and extremely flavoursome. He too liked the smoky flavours.
Jessica’s red pepper hummus was lovely and creamy – I tried some too - and it came topped with chopped red pepper and pine nuts.
The portion sizes were generous and the prices were competitive too – our order came to £23.50.
We really enjoyed the authentic flavours, and they reminded us of happy memories of Greek holiday. We would certainly order from The Greek Hut again.
We pay for all our food and drink. Cafes and restaurants do not know they're being reviewed.