Framlingham Gala goes back to ‘the good old days’ this bank holiday
- Credit: Archant
A centuries old Suffolk celebration will be looking back to “the good old days” when it returns this bank holiday weekend.
Organisers of this year’s Framlingham Gala chose the nostalgic theme for their annual parade, which will be a centrepiece of Monday afternoon’s entertainment.
“We hope the sun will shine on Bank Holiday Monday and encourage everyone to come along and join us on Castle Meadow for what we hope will be an afternoon of fun and entertainment,” an event spokesman said.
Hundreds of spectators are expected to line the streets as Gala Princesses Kiera Hambling, Maisie Pendal and Amber Wittingstall, accompanied by the Leiston Royal British Legion Band, lead the parade towards Castle Meadow.
Setting off at 12.30pm from Fram Farmers car park this year’s parade will be preceded by a procession of military vehicles touring the town. Regular favourites the Essex Dog Display Team will be returning, alongside further animal attractions from Out on a Wing Falconry, with its birds of prey demonstration.
You may also want to watch:
Musical performances from the Royal British Legion Band and Sweet Sensation Steel Band will take place during the afternoon, while Magic Olly will be at hand to keep the children entertained and help with the races held throughout the day,
The Gala is thought to date back more than 300 years and has grown to become been one of the town’s most celebrated events.
- 2 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 3 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 4 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 5 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 6 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 7 Hits, misses, an 'unseen' suspension, a few goals and two still without clubs - how the departed Ipswich players are faring ahead of Bishop reunion
- 8 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson
- 9 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 10 Ed Sheeran announces three Wembley dates as part of = world tour
Since 1948, it has been run by Framlingham Sports Club, providing an essential source of fundraising for the committee.
The club has thanked the public and its volunteers for their support as well as businesses and organisations “whose continued generosity helps ensure the success of this event.”
Other events scheduled for the Gala weekend include a craft fair at St Michael’s Rooms on Sunday and Monday from 10am and a car boot sale at the sports club ground in Badingham Road starting at 10am on Monday.
Stocks Fun Rair will be at Castle Meadow over the weekend, with opening times publicised locally.