Gallery: Dreams of a Midsummer’s Night takes to the stage at school
PUPILS at Culford School, in west Suffolk, have been treading the boards with their production of Shakespeare’s comedy A Midsummer’s Night’s Dream.
Staged at the school’s Studio Theatre, it features two pairs of lovers, Hermia and Lysander, played by Georgina Sutton and Oliver Ratcliffe, and Helena and Demetrius, portrayed by Isabel Davies and Callum Downing.
In contrast to the comedy, George Kirby-Smith, as Oberon, and Katie Hargreaves, played Titania, while Louisiana Ogunfowora was cast as the mischievous, comical and, at times, slightly creepy Puck.
The character of Bottom provided constant entertainment and a touch of Christmas pantomime to the winter performance.
Jack Godden took the role and praise was also given to choreographer Heidi Stubbings who devised the dances, as well as the make-up artists who created designs for the fairies.
Director of drama, Maria Kane, said: “What we wanted to create with this production was a visual sensation, using an atmospheric set and eerie contemporary dance and music, whilst remaining true to the original script.
“What the pupils achieved was a production any professional company would be immensely proud of.”
- 1 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 2 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 3 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Essex
- 4 'Ipswich did so much for me' - Knight excited for Town return with Crewe after dream Manchester City move
- 5 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 6 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 7 Nearly 150 homes to go on land no longer needed for jobs
- 8 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 9 Dispersal order put in place for coastal town
- 10 Hitchhiker died after being hit by lorry wing mirror on A143