Barton Players set to stage first ever musical ... South Pacific
- Credit: Archant
The Barton Players are treading new ground this week with their first ever musical production.
They are performing “South Pacific” which is being staged at Great Barton Village Hall from Thursday through to Saturday
Set on a South Pacific island during the Second World War the story centres round Nellie Forbush, a young Navy nurse from Little Rock, who meets and falls in love with an older Frenchman Emile de Becque.
Emile is a planter and has lived on the island for 25 years. When he proposes to Nellie he confesses that he fled France because he killed a man, the town bully whom no one else would stand up to. Nellie is able to accept his explanation and promises to consider Emile’s marriage proposal.
Also stationed on the island is a group of restless sailors, Seabees and marines who are bored and sorely in need of female companionship. Souvenir collecting is about the only active pastime and has developed into a healthy competitive marketing war between Seabee Luther Billis and Bloody Mary the local Tonkinese dealer.
You may also want to watch:
Lieutenant Joseph Cable is a handsome young Marine who arrives with an assignment to persuade de Becque, who is familiar with the nearby islands, to accompany him on a secret mission.
Meanwhile Luther Billis has a mission of his own to get to the mysterious and forbidden island of Bali Ha’i. He convinces Lieutenant Cable to lead a pleasure-seeking expedition there.
- 1 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 2 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 3 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 4 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 5 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 6 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 7 Mike Bacon: Never delve too deeply into those pre-season results
- 8 Tourists turn to inland Suffolk as coast books up
- 9 Gill on the move again as former Town coach heads to the Championship
- 10 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
On the island Bloody Mary introduces Cable to her beautiful daughter Liat and the Lieutenant falls in love with her.
The show is directed and produced by Caroline Ranson who said she is “very excited” about the Players first musical.
To obtain tickets go to www.ticketsource.co.uk/event/22486