Halesworth: Gig in the Park to be cancelled after this year’s event
Organisers of Gig in the Park have announced this year’s event will be the last “in it’s current form” because of rising costs.
This year’s three-day music event in Halesworth Town Park will take place between August 10-12 and will see The Fun Lovin’ Criminals headline on the Saturday night.
But Gig in the Park’s committee has said it is with “great sadness” that this year’s event will be the last it puts on.
A spokesperson said: “We have seen the bill for the fuel we use in the generators rocket to the point that it is now bigger than the cost of the hire and transport of the machines themselves.
“The committee do not want to simply put up the ticket price to cover this and therefore make it unaffordable to some within the community.
“Nor do they want to lower the high standard of this professionally-run and well-respected event. We are all exceedingly proud of the Gig in the Park and as volunteer organisers, our aim has always been to give Halesworth an annual event that is accessible to and enjoyed by all ages.
“As a not-for-profit organisation, Gig in the Park has still always managed to annually donate to town causes as well as being able to provide professional training in some areas of events management and technical production.
- 1 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 2 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 4 Dispersal order put in place for coastal town
- 5 Is this the cheapest house for sale in Suffolk?
- 6 A12 blocked following two vehicle crash
- 7 Man caught massaging woman's leg by husband viewing home CCTV
- 8 JCB skip loader worth £5,500 stolen from Suffolk village
- 9 Evicted Suffolk family of dying child given early Christmas presents
- 10 Suffolk beauty spots ranked among best in UK
“It has actively been involved in other town events such as the Christmas lights and the Lions Carnival. All of this has been possible because of those who have come back each year to the gig, to either buy tickets or to work voluntarily on this amazing event.
“We value and appreciate the support that has been shown.”
At this year’s festival, Katrina, who is best known for the hit Walking on Sunshine by Katrina and the Waves, will headline on the Friday night.
The event, now in its 15th year, will feature three live music stages as well as a variety of food and craft stalls.
The former second stage will be known as the unplugged@giginthepark stage and will feature acoustic-style performers.
The Other Stage has been designed to be a platform for local artists.