Ipswich: Memories flood back for wrestler turned entertainer
Talk about Remember When, the Corn Exchange holds special memories for Neil Sands who wrestled Mighty John Quinn for the world heavyweight championship there in 1981.
“It was one of the biggest nights of my life. It was at the time when he’d been on the front page of lots of the national newspapers so the national press were there as well,” says the performer and producer.
“I got beaten around 11, I got thrown out the ring, landed badly and did me back. I had to retire from wrestling for a few years, but it was one hell of a match.
“It’s going to be brilliant going back there with my own show… it’s all about a trip back down memory lane and these afternoon shows have gone down so well.”
Audiences will be treated to musical memories from the 40s with the likes of Vera Lynn and The Andrews Sisters, the 50s with Bill Haley and Brenda Lee, the 60s with the Beatles and finally the 70s and Abba.
You may also want to watch:
Remember When comes to the Ipswich Corn Exchange from 2.30pm, October 10.
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 5 New shop for farm that focuses on mental health
- 6 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 7 From obscurity to a nailed-on starter - Donacien's remarkable Town journey
- 8 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 9 Nsiala on his injury return, a rollercoaster Town career and 'hugging it out' with boss Cook
- 10 'It was always going to be' - Cook confirms Morsy as Town's club captain