Ipswich School Festival of Music 2018 line-up revealed
- Credit: Tom Barnes
Fancy singing with world-renowned composer and conductor John Rutter? Now’s your chance.
This autumn’s Ipswich School Festival of Music sees classical music, jazz and sounds of the 1920s and 1930s echo through the Great School Concert Hall for the ninth annual celebration of music from some of the country’s top professional musicians.
The come and sing event on October 13 is festival first and is a chance for people to improve their choral singing technique.
Another is a October 16’s percussion night featuring former Ipswich School pupil Sam Wilson and his group 4-Mality, which brings the week-long festival to a close with a bang.
Opening this year’s festival on October 11 is international violinist Jennifer Pike. Alex Mendham and his Orchestra bring the glamour of Hollywood’s golden age to the stage on October 12. The Jazz Night, on October 13, features Claire Martin and the David Newton Trio. You can enjoy the vocal harmonies of The Gentleman of St John’s College, Cambridge on October 15.
You may also want to watch:
Sion Parry, Ipswich School’s director of music and the festival artistic director, said: “I’m delighted we have another great line-up of top professional musicians joining us at Ipswich School this October. We hope they will entertain audiences and inspire young musicians with a diverse range of musical styles and passionate performances.
“As well as offering our special early bird reduction of 10% on many tickets bought before the beginning of July, we also have student tickets available for just £6. I would encourage people to book their tickets as soon as possible, ready for some memorable concerts in the autumn.”
- 1 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 2 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 3 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 4 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 5 Petrol queues worsen rush-hour traffic
- 6 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 7 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 8 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 9 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 10 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
The Ipswich School Festival of Music wouldn’t be complete without its education programme, sponsored by Christchurch Veterinary Referrals
Events include workshops for pupils from local primary and prep schools run by members of The Alex Mendham Orchestra and percussionist Sam Wilson.
The Ipswich School Festival of Music runs October 11-16 at Ipswich School. The main venue is the Great School Concert Hall, Ivry Street, opposite Ipswich Preparatory School.
Tickets go on sale May 1 via the New Wolsey Theatre. Call 01473 295900 or visit www.wolseytheatre.co.uk/whats-on/upcoming/