Ipswich: The New Wolsey Theatre comes runner-up in The Stage Awards
- Credit: Patrick Baldwin
A theatre in Ipswich has come runner-up in a prestigious competition celebrating outstanding performing arts organisations across the UK.
Judges nominating in The Stage Awards praised The New Wolsey Theatre’s “wide-ranging programme” and its “efforts to forge partnerships with other organisations” in their Regional Theatre of the Year award nomination.
Peter Rowe, artistic director at the theatre said: “Since reopening as The New Wolsey Theatre in 2001 our aim has been to create the most diverse programme of work for every kind of theatre-goer.
“We are particularly delighted that this nomination recognises the extraordinary range of performance work that now takes place under The New Wolsey Theatre umbrella and our pioneering collaborations with commercial producers, other regional theatres, touring companies and individual artists.”
The judges cited the theatre’s involvement in The Threepenny Opera – a coproduction with Graeae Theatre Company and a number of other regional companies – as an example of its collaborative efforts which “stood out” in its nomination.
You may also want to watch:
The winners of all categories were announced on Friday at the Theatre Royal in London.
- 1 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 2 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 3 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 4 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 5 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 6 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 7 Cook will be looking to complete the puzzle as Town host Millwall in dress rehearsal
- 8 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 9 Woodbridge 'cheese wedge' site goes back up for sale
- 10 Evans returns to Town side for Millwall clash