Jimmy Carr - Repeat Offender
Jimmy CarrThe Regent, IpswichARE you going along to see Jimmy Carr tonight? Whatever happens, don't be late, unless you want to be part of the show.
The Regent, Ipswich
ARE you going along to see Jimmy Carr tonight? Whatever happens, don't be late, unless you want to be part of the show.
You may also want to watch:
If you are tardy you will, before your backside has hit the Regent's comfortable cushions, be interrogated and generally held up for public amusement and ridicule. Last night's latecomers were teachers, of business studies and computers respectively, who no doubt wished that they'd left home five minutes earlier.
One of Carr's strengths is just this kind of interaction with his audience. He will engage in a conversation, drawing out his victims carefully and gently before delivering a verbal KO.
- 1 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 2 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 3 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 4 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 5 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 6 'It was a surprise for a lot of us... but these are exciting times' - Gill on takeover
- 7 Woman dies after car collides with tree in Leiston
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 home draw with MK Dons
- 9 Matchday Recap: Goalless again in first game of a new era at Town
- 10 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
Last night's crowd were a little cagey, mostly too wary to be easily trapped by this sleek, smooth-suited former oil company marketing executive, but there were enough takers to keep him occupied.
He is not a storyteller; in addition to his bit of working with the house he does straightforward jokes, delivered in his essentially deadpan, pared-down style.
For the main part they'll raise a smile, a chuckle, a groan (what separates men from the animals? A fence) and every now and then a great belly laugh. If you fire enough bullets, you're bound to hit the target with some of them.
But the bullets that hit the target are what set him apart from more humdrum comics.
He has an ability to take you out on the edge to somewhere you know you shouldn't be, to make you laugh at things you know shouldn't, things you'd never be able to repeat in polite company and things certainly far too edgy to be repeated here. There are no taboos for Carr.
Repeat Offender is this tour's title; Joke Technician is the name of the next one. They're both right.