New series of Abbey drama announced
TV bosses have ordered a second series of Downton Abbey after its ratings success, it was announced today.
ITV has commissioned another eight-part run of the country house drama - scripted by Oscar winner Julian Fellowes - to be screened next year.
The network said the programme, which drew nine million viewers for its first episode last month - is the most successful new drama launched on any channel for 18 months.
The programme, which stars Dame Maggie Smith, Hugh Bonneville, Penelope Wilton and Elizabeth McGovern, examines the lives of the Crawley family and their domestic staff.
ITV’s director of drama commissioning Laura Mackie said: “We’re delighted with the audience response to Downton Abbey and the positive critical reaction.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re extremely proud to have commissioned a series which has clearly captivated ITV1 viewers.”
- 1 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 2 'It was a tiny step forwards' - Cook on 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 3 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 4 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 5 Missing Stowmarket man, 49, found safe and well
- 6 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 7 Shopper eschew Suffolk's smaller towns to hit Primark
- 8 Suffolk-born Royal Ballet choreographer Liam Scarlett dies
- 9 Blues ratings: How Town players performed in the draw at Charlton
- 10 Saturday drinkers queue for post-lockdown pints