New Wolsey stages all-star premiere for online comeback
- Credit: PA
Stars including Stephen Fry, Griff Rhys Jones, Sir Derek Jacobi, Tamzin Outhwaite, Rebecca Front and Sharon D Clarke are part an online production at Ipswich’s New Wolsey Theatre to premiere in October.
The New Wolsey has teamed up with The Barn and Lawrence Batley Theatres to bring Jonathan Coe’s acclaimed novel What A Carve Up! to a virtual stage.
The novel has been adapted by Henry Filloux-Bennett especially for this digital production, to be directed by Theatre Clwyd artistic director Tamara Harvey.
New Wolsey Theatre artistic director Peter Rowe has been working closely with Mr Filloux-Bennett and Iwan Lewis, artistic director of The Barn Theatre in Cirencester, to develop the production and to find the right cast for this groundbreaking new show.
Mr Rowe said: “This is the first time the three theatres have collaborated and it’s a great example of the ways in which theatres are innovating to bring new work to the ‘stage’ in these challenging times.
You may also want to watch:
“The extraordinary cast that we’re announcing today shows the willingness of the sector to pull together to keep theatre alive. The show ‘opens’ online on October 31 and is available until November 29.”
The digital production chronicles the events leading up to the ‘Winshaw Murders’.
- 1 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 2 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 4 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 5 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 6 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 7 Mike Bacon: Starting to walk the walk, I'm liking the way we move
- 8 Family pays tribute to 'gentle giant' who died in motorbike crash
- 9 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 10 'It's powerful' - Harper on Town's use of sports psychology
Filled with murder, mayhem and madness, the murder mystery turns a satirical eye on what it is like to be a member of one of the most corrupt, powerful and toxic families in the country.
Initial casting features Fiona Button as Josephine Winshaw-Eaves, Sharon D. Clarke as Kim Bolton, Rebecca Front as Hilary Winshaw, Stephen Fry as Patrick Mills, Sir Derek Jacobi as Findlay Onyx, Griff Rhys Jones as John Stephens and Tamzin Outhwaite as The Journalist.
Tickets can be purchased online at whatacarveup.com, with audience members receiving a screening link which will activate at the booked performance time for a 48-hour period.
A premium option, consisting of a physical programme and pre-theatre dining recipe card, curated by world-renowned chef Asma Khan, owner of the prestigious Darjeeling Express in London’s Soho.