Film review: Night School is a boring and tiresome comedy
Kevin Hart and Tiffany Haddish are fine actors and two of the funniest comedians working today.
It is important to remember this as there is very little evidence of it in Malcolm D. Lee’s latest feature, which sees Hart’s high school drop-out Teddy forced to attend Carrie’s (Haddish) night school to complete his GED and find another job after he accidentally destroys his previous place of work.
There is interesting, comedic territory to be mined here, namely the difficulty of finding employment in the current job market, but Lee and his team of six screenwriters largely forego this in favour of bombarding us with a series of unfunny set-pieces. Most of them involving Teddy embarrassing himself or getting hurt, and an endless slew of tired, clichéd one- liners that are nowhere near as edgy as the director clearly believes.
To make matters worse the film is terribly predictable, with every beat and side-story seemingly recycled from countless other, far superior comedic works.
It’s a shame too to see the likes of Hart and Haddish, who have exhibited the ability to raise the quality of even the most dull comedy, struggle to inject any magnetism or humanity into the irritating and unlikeable characters they play.
You may also want to watch:
Only Taran Killam’s intense high school principal Stewart and Romany Malco’s laid-back technophobe Jaylen add much-needed fun to the proceedings, but they alone are not enough to save this boring and tiresome comedy.
- 1 Lorry driver hailed as hero after truck crushed in port accident
- 2 Woodbridge bar owner to fight £1,000 fine for Covid rule breach
- 3 Former Town defender could be in the frame to become Cook's No.2 after Richardson blow
- 4 Cage fighter Alex Reid jailed after OUR story exposes lie in insurance claim
- 5 Family's tribute to 'always smiling' Jack after tragic death aged 27
- 6 Missing dad wanted in connection with assault which happened day before he disappeared
- 7 Plans to create 'Suffolk Silicon Fen' killed by market forces
- 8 Air ambulance called to medical emergency
- 9 A12 closed following serious collision
- 10 Man taken to hospital after 40ft container drops on lorry cab