Playing with conviction
EnAccord Quartet, Jubilee Hall, Aldeburgh. February 5. The four young ladies of the EnAccord Quartet, one of the youngest string quartets in the Netherlands, made a great impression with their Friday Aldeburgh lunchtime recital.
EnAccord Quartet, Jubilee Hall, Aldeburgh. February 5.
The four young ladies of the EnAccord Quartet, one of the youngest string quartets in the Netherlands, made a great impression with their Friday Aldeburgh lunchtime recital. From the opening bars of Schubert's C minor quartet movement, D 703,they had the audience in thrall, conveying a sense of period with their pure lyrical tone,while attacking the dramatic music of this inspired movement with spectacular effect.
With this short work' they created the sort of electric atmosphere between performer and audience which happens but rarely, and here was to last throughout the whole recital.
The Hungarian composer Gyorgy Ligeti who died in 2006, left a large body of work, from opera to chamber music. His String Quartet No.1, Metamorphoses Nocturnes, consists of twelve short continuous movements which encompass a wide variety of moods; dense dramatic textures, the quietest of ethereal sounds, moments of charm and humour. It is an immediately attractive work and a great virtuoso showpiece for the performers, and proved a superb vehicle for the talents of the EnAccord.
You may also want to watch:
That this is a beautifully balanced quartet was most noticeable in the last work, Beethoven's Quartet Op.9 in F minor. Here in the allegretto ma non troppo it was possible to appreciate the beauty of sound of each individual instrument. Elsewhere there were some very fast tempi which might have sounded a little dangerous had the music not been played with such conviction, but this was a characterful performance by an ensemble one hopes to hear more often.
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 3 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 4 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 5 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Spurs loanee Parrott set to return to Blues next season
- 7 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 8 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 9 Driver who killed 'dearly loved' man, 29, in crash is jailed
- 10 Witnesses sought after four-vehicle crash in east Suffolk