Review: A Corner Of The Ocean, Jammy Voo and Notebook Productions, Pulse Fringe Festival, Ipswich, June 7
A Corner Of The Ocean, Jammy Voo and Notebook Productions, Pulse Fringe Festival, Ipswich, June 7
When a man mysteriously goes missing in a diving accident, reports of his disappearance ripple through the lives of four women in different parts of the world.
The women are already visible when the audience files into the New Wolsey Studio Theatre, each in her own domestic space - writing, thinking, looking at laptop screen and goldfish tank - as crackling radio news broadcasts refer to the missing man.
It is an indolent start to a drama which soon begins to gather pace and build to climaxes of energy and emotion.
All of the women are restless, uneasy, uptight, nervous and the audience can only speculate on their relationship to the diver who, one report suggests, may have been washed through a crack in the bottom of a lake.
Leaking water is a constant theme, with the characters using all manner of domestic receptacles to capture it.
The show involves great physical theatre and is laced with vocal harmony, a live accompaniment by a singer and musician and brilliant use of puppetry, evoking comedy and heart-breaking tragedy.
- 1 Suffolk mum diagnosed with terminal cancer after beating disease twice before
- 2 How have Suffolk's towns changed over the last decade?
- 3 A14 closed after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 4 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Luton join race for keeper Walton
- 6 Two Magpies Bakery set to open in Woodbridge after rapid revamp of store
- 7 Town closing in on permanent deal for keeper Walton
- 8 Anger as second homeowners set to receive £191million in Covid grants
- 9 PM ‘dropped a clanger’ with garden bash apology, legal expert suggests
- 10 'A good team and well-coached' - Bolton boss Evatt on Town
A stunning, magical, surreal and thought-provoking piece of drama which keeps the audience guessing and entranced throughout.