Review: A Faultline, by Jessica Latowicki, Pulse Fringe Festival, New Wolsey Studio Theatre, June 6
- Credit: Archant
In her pre-show publicity and at the start of her performance, Latowicki says she is going to run into a wall 20 times and she will be doing it for no other reason than she is able to.
The wall is constructed on set and it is, arguably, impossible for any onlooker not to let the prospect of the action to come (or maybe not to come) forming the backcloth to what the performer is saying.
Wearing a glittering cocktail dress and sparkly tights, she talks about her impact on the planet, about cheap Third World labour and other global issues and about her personal experience of an earthquake.
The theme is possibly that our individual lives are meaningless and that we have the spare capacity to do so much more, pointless or not.
And then, after donning a crash helmet and knee protectors, Latowicki runs into the wall. I don’t count how many times she hits the wall but it clearly jolts her whole body and makes her breathless.
You may also want to watch:
She does not return to take the audience applause and we are left to “enjoy” light refreshments set out next to the exit, perhaps a gesture towards the Last Supper? Few people partake.
This piece of what can only loosely be called drama, was developed with support from the National Theatre Studio. What it is all about remains something of a mystery but the subject of lively after-show debate.
- 1 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 2 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 3 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 4 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 5 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 6 Delays of 80 minutes following A12 crashes
- 7 Ipswich Town players' FIFA 22 ratings revealed
- 8 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
- 9 Can Town kick on now? Predictions for the next five league games
- 10 Suspected drink driver flees scene after car destroyed in crash