Review: Ali Campbell, Micky Virtue and Astro perform UB40 favourites at the Ipswich Regent
- Credit: Archant
Like a fine red, red wine that gets better with age, so did Ali, Astro and Micky, former members of UB40, who rolled back the years at the Regent on Friday night.
Campbell was flawless on vocals, his unmistakable sound as fresh and unique as ever, his showmanship classy, yet understated.
The veteran frontman had the crowd in the palm of his hands, and left them in a state of ecstasy once he finally got the encore underway, with Many Rivers to Cross, Kingston Town and Red, Red Wine concluding a memorable night.
Earlier, supported by Micky Virtue and the irrepressible Astro, the band played a number of new songs off their latest album, Silouhette, including the impressive title track.
While the retro fans amongst the crowd would have yearned for the songs of old, the new tracks were well received, especially by the hardcore fans who seemingly knew every word.
You may also want to watch:
A cover of Charles and Eddie’s ‘Would I lie to You’ was another favourite, while ‘Cyber Bully Boy’ written as part of Campbell’s role as an ambassador fighting against cyber bullying, proved they could still produce sharp, original material.
The fans were on their feet for the duration during a breathless set, Astro was brilliant, and the trio proved they still have what it takes to throw a memorable party.
- 1 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 2 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 3 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 4 Woman dies after car collides with tree in Leiston
- 5 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 6 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 7 Police cordon after man in 20s found outside Ipswich flats dies
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 home draw with MK Dons
- 9 Here's what Bristol City boss Pearson said about CEO Ashton being linked to Town
- 10 Suffolk holiday accommodation reaching capacity ahead of re-opening