Review: Nell Gwynn by Jessica Swale at Cambridge Arts Theatre, March 21-25
- Credit: �Tristram Kenton
A wonderful show and brilliant production, Nell Gwynn is a must see.
Charting the life of the orange seller turned actress turned royal mistress turned actress again, Nell Gwynn is full of bawdy humour and is non-stop fun.
Hugely colourful with the added attraction of excellent song and dance, inspired by the period, the play, under the direction of Christopher Luscombe, delves into the life of pretty witty Nell as she joins Thomas Killigrew’s “Kings Company” of actors and players before attracting the attention of Charles II.
Touching on themes of celebrity, the role of the courtesan, and the development of restoration theatre, Nell Gwynn is beautifully acted by leading lady Laura Pitt-Pulford who encapsulates with great expertise the wit and charm of Nell.
The supporting cast is equally strong with excellent performances, notably Ben Righton as the King and Mossie Smith as Nancy, Nell’s dresser.
You may also want to watch:
Pepter Lunkuse, as Nell’s sister Rose, offers some interesting insight into the early life of Nell as the daughter of a brothel owner. And Pandora Clifford as Lady Castlemaine and Louise de Kerouaille explores the types of women Charles II included in his life.
Popular to this day, perhaps because she was one of us, Nell Gwynn’s relationship with the King was one of mutual affection and friendship and the play brings this out with grace and eloquence in the closing scenes.
- 1 A12 closed following serious collision
- 2 Lorry driver hailed as hero after truck crushed in port accident
- 3 Woodbridge bar owner to fight £1,000 fine for Covid rule breach
- 4 Man taken to hospital after 40ft container drops on lorry cab
- 5 Former Town defender could be in the frame to become Cook's No.2 after Richardson blow
- 6 Car SOS to feature family who lost father and son
- 7 French pop-up restaurant owner unveils new seaside hotel plan
- 8 Woman in critical condition and man arrested after serious A12 crash
- 9 Cage fighter Alex Reid jailed after OUR story exposes lie in insurance claim
- 10 31 miserable stats which sum up a largely miserable Ipswich Town season
A marvellous production exploring a fascinating relationship at the very heart of our nation’s history.