Review: Rebecca Ferguson at Thetford Forest
- Credit: Archant
One of the joys for me of listening to music live is its raw, unpolished quality.
And if the singer happens to have hay fever and is gigging in a forest their sniffs end up becoming part of the performance too.
X-Factor star, Liverpudlian lass Rebecca Ferguson, clearly seemed to be soldiering on through her concert at Thetford Forest on Thursday.
But even though she evidently wasn’t feeling too great, I was still able to appreciate the lovely tone of her voice - which has earned her so many fans - through the live experience.
She sang hits from her first album Heaven - including Too Good to Lose and Teach Me How to Be Loved - as well as a selection from her second album Freedom and also performed a few covers, including Prince’s ‘Raspberry Beret,’ Katy Perry’s ‘Roar’ and Tom Odell’s ‘Another Love’.
Rebecca is truly stunning in person - with a voice to match - but her own performance lacked energy - because of the hay fever? - in complete contrast with her two backing singers who managed to own the stage.
Her support act singer-songwriter Phillipa Hanna, who is currently unsigned, also had fantastic stage presence.
- 1 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 2 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 4 Dispersal order put in place for coastal town
- 5 A12 blocked following two vehicle crash
- 6 Is this the cheapest house for sale in Suffolk?
- 7 Hitchhiker died after being hit by lorry wing mirror on A143
- 8 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Essex
- 9 JCB skip loader worth £5,500 stolen from Suffolk village
- 10 Man caught massaging woman's leg by husband viewing home CCTV
Considering the concert coincided with the start of the World Cup there was a respectable turnout, but, for me, the gig still managed to retain an intimate feel.
I shared a lovely moment with my husband when Rebecca sang ‘Nothing’s Real but Love’ - which we played during our wedding ceremony in 2012 - and a couple even got engaged during the performance.