St Osyth: Gogglebox star George Gilbey gets date for charity
- Credit: Archant
A TV viewer from BAFTA-winning show Gogglebox has agreed to go on a date as part of a charity fundraiser.
George Gilbey, 30, was one of the stars of the Channel 4 programme and became a celebrity overnight.
He was filmed along with mum Linda and step-dad Pete McGarry watching the TV and reacting to a range of shows in their family home in St Osyth.
Avid fan of the show single mum Hayley Lloyd is trying to raise £1,500 in support of a muscular dystrophy charity, and tweeted George to ask if he would go on a date with her if she beat her target by £500.
George agreed to the challenge and raised the stakes on the social media site, offering to join her in a charity skydive if she raised £3,000.
Now Miss Lloyd has reached the target and the pair are off on a date tomorrow, before their skydive in September.
George is taking Miss Lloyd, 39, ice skating at Chelmsford’s Riverside rink, before going to dinner at Hold the Anchovies in Witham.
- 1 'I thought he was going to Ipswich' - rival boss reveals Blues interest in right-back
- 2 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
- 3 25-year-old left eating disorder clinic prior to death on A14
- 4 New Ed Sheeran Christmas song with Elton John out this week
- 5 Will Suffolk have a white Christmas this year?
- 6 'Quirky and memorable' name for new café and visitor centre revealed
- 7 The Ipswich Town players who could force their way into Cook's thinking during cup break
- 8 Norwood on target as Town Under 23's sting Hornets
- 9 Suffolk mass vaccination centre wants to jab 10,000 amid Omicron concern
- 10 Aston Villa loanee Louie Barry is the forgotten signing at Ipswich Town... he'll be hoping to get his chance this week
He said: “I didn’t think the money would go up so fast, but I am glad that now this programme has given me a platform I am able to help people.
“It fascinates me how quickly social media is relayed, how quickly you can reach people.
“I’m not doing anything big, I am just jumping out of a plane and going on a date.
“I certainly didn’t think I would get a date out of the show. The first time we appeared the narration was something like ‘George has not had a girlfriend for a year’ and I though I would never get one after that.
“But I have had some offers after the show, though I don’t know any of these people.
“Hayley is a really nice girl, and since I said yes she has gone full steam ahead with fundraising which is just brilliant. She has not just sat back and watched the money come in.”
George admits he is daunted by the thought of the skydive.
He said: “I phoned up a friend who used to be a pilot in the RAF and asked him what it was like.
“He’s only done a static parachute jump, but he told me not worry about standing on the edge as you just get sucked out of the plane, which sounds brilliant to me.”
To donate to the appeal visit Miss Lloyd’s Justgiving page.