St Osyth: Gogglebox star George Gilbey gets date for charity
- Credit: Archant
A TV viewer from BAFTA-winning show Gogglebox has agreed to go on a date as part of a charity fundraiser.
George Gilbey, 30, was one of the stars of the Channel 4 programme and became a celebrity overnight.
He was filmed along with mum Linda and step-dad Pete McGarry watching the TV and reacting to a range of shows in their family home in St Osyth.
Avid fan of the show single mum Hayley Lloyd is trying to raise £1,500 in support of a muscular dystrophy charity, and tweeted George to ask if he would go on a date with her if she beat her target by £500.
George agreed to the challenge and raised the stakes on the social media site, offering to join her in a charity skydive if she raised £3,000.
You may also want to watch:
Now Miss Lloyd has reached the target and the pair are off on a date tomorrow, before their skydive in September.
George is taking Miss Lloyd, 39, ice skating at Chelmsford’s Riverside rink, before going to dinner at Hold the Anchovies in Witham.
- 1 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 2 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 3 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 4 Matchday Recap: Goalless again in first game of a new era at Town
- 5 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 6 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 7 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 8 'It was a surprise for a lot of us... but these are exciting times' - Gill on takeover
- 9 Suspected drink driver charged after police dog tracks down man hiding in a ditch
- 10 Managing director of popular zoos steps down after 28 years
He said: “I didn’t think the money would go up so fast, but I am glad that now this programme has given me a platform I am able to help people.
“It fascinates me how quickly social media is relayed, how quickly you can reach people.
“I’m not doing anything big, I am just jumping out of a plane and going on a date.
“I certainly didn’t think I would get a date out of the show. The first time we appeared the narration was something like ‘George has not had a girlfriend for a year’ and I though I would never get one after that.
“But I have had some offers after the show, though I don’t know any of these people.
“Hayley is a really nice girl, and since I said yes she has gone full steam ahead with fundraising which is just brilliant. She has not just sat back and watched the money come in.”
George admits he is daunted by the thought of the skydive.
He said: “I phoned up a friend who used to be a pilot in the RAF and asked him what it was like.
“He’s only done a static parachute jump, but he told me not worry about standing on the edge as you just get sucked out of the plane, which sounds brilliant to me.”
To donate to the appeal visit Miss Lloyd’s Justgiving page.