Suffolk singer Ed Sheeran tops chart of most popular recording artists on the planet
- Credit: Archant
The 24-year-old ranks second in the list, released today.
In a list compiled by international music body the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI), Thinking Out Loud singer Ed is among five British acts to make the top ten.
Ranking second only to Adele, who released her long-awaited third album 25 last year, the former Thomas Mills pupil is no stranger to top music accolades.
In February 2015 he took home Brit awards for British Male Solo Artist and British Album of the Year for x, and in May he picked up an Ivor Novello Award for songwriter of the year.
One Direction came fifth in the list, while Coldplay and Sam Smith are at six and eight.
You may also want to watch:
Ed, who was born in West Yorkshire but grew up in Framlingham, sold out Wembley stadium on three consecutive nights last summer.
He also launched his own record label, Gingerbread Man Records, in 2015, and was listed among Britain’s biggest-earning young celebrities in November.
- 1 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 2 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 3 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 4 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 5 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 6 Hadleigh home with loo in master bedroom hits the market
- 7 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 8 'One of the favourites for the division' - Fleetwood boss Grayson on Town
- 9 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 10 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
Top 10 Global Recording Artists of 2015:
1 - Adele
2 - Ed Sheeran
3 - Taylor Swift
4 - Justin Bieber
5 - One Direction
6 - Coldplay
7 - Maroon 5
8 - Sam Smith
9 - Drake
10 - The Weeknd