Suffolk: X Factor winner Matt Cardle mobbed in town centre
X-FACTOR winner Matt Cardle caused chaos when he popped into a Suffolk town for a spot of shopping.
X-FACTOR sensation Matt Cardle brought traffic to a standstill when he popped into a Suffolk town on a shopping trip yesterday.
Any hopes the pop star had of making it a quick trip were soon dashed when the 27-year-old was mobbed by adoring fans of all ages in Sudbury town centre.
Cardle, who was crowned X-Factor champion last month, signed autographs and posed for pictures with his fans as he tried to get into the Carphone Warehouse on Market Hill.
“I only came into buy a charger for my Blackberry,” said Cardle. “It’s all completely mental really, but it’s fabulous to see all these fans here. I guess it is going to take quite a bit of time to do anything now.
You may also want to watch:
“I feel really honoured though, I guess they wouldn’t be here if I wasn’t singing and performing what they want to hear, so I’m really happy to meet everyone out here.”
Cardle, a former Stoke-by-Clare schoolboy who lives with his mother and father at Little Maplestead, said he was now busy rehearsing for his UK tour which starts next month.
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 3 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 4 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 5 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 6 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 7 'He goes with our best wishes' - Cook confirms Judge will leave Town
- 8 Judge heading to Ipswich exit as contract clause could end Irishman's Portman Road stay
- 9 Next steps outlined for decision on A12 traffic light plans
- 10 'They have big dreams... we're in great hands' - Town favourite Yallop on his links to new US owners
He said: “I haven’t spoken to Simon (Cowell) since the night of the final as he left to go on holiday, but I’m in regular contact with Dannii and speak to her on the phone in Australia often.”
Cardle’s appearance in town turned out to be an “extraordinary” experience for a mother and daughter from Sudbury.
Nina Ford, 37, had brought her daughter Millie into town so the eight-year-old could buy her a birthday present.
Mrs Ford, of Sandy Lane, said: “It’s incredible, we were walking through the market square when I said to Millie that I’d like the Matt Cardle CD for my birthday. The next thing I looked up to see a crowd of people on the pavement.
“At first I thought there had been an accident, but then I saw through all the people that Matt was standing there having his picture taken – it was extraordinary.
“The funny thing is I joked at Christmas that my wish next year was be to meet Matt Cardle, I never thought that would happen on a Thursday afternoon in Sudbury.”
Millie, who managed to get her pop hero’s autograph, said she couldn’t wait to get back to school to tell all her friends.
Geri Pengelly, manager of Burtons menswear shop, said: “Someone in the shop said Matt was outside and I assumed they were joking. When I came out I could not believe it.
“He’s utterly adorable and clearly just as lovely as he came across on TV.”
Cardle continued signing autographs and posing for pictures for all his fans congregating in the street before finally getting a chance to buy his charger.