Taste of the seaside is coming to Stowmarket town centre today
- Credit: Lucy taylor
The seaside is coming to a Suffolk town today.
Stowmarket Town Council are bringing the beach to the town for the annual beach party at the Recreation Ground.
The free event will see live music, donkey rides, Punch and Judy, circus skills workshop, bouncy castles and a giant sand pit and the evening will climax with an open air screening of the hit family Disney film Frozen.
Organisers have also announced a late addition of local professional singer Chelsea Francis to the Gipping Press Stage line up.
Event organiser David Marsh said: Chelsea was a real star at StowFiesta earlier in the year, she’s really talented, so we are very pleased that she has agreed to perform at the Beach Party.”
You may also want to watch:
Chelsea is joining the Phil Jackson Rock and Roll Band, The Mementos, JS and the Lockerbillies, Eve and Richard, Connor Adams and Switch.
The beach party sees the town council working in partnership with local charity Trust Maria, which was set up in memory of Maria Mcsloy and raises much-needed funds to provide specialist equipment and facilities for local hospices.
- 1 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 2 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 3 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 4 Can Town kick on now? Predictions for the next five league games
- 5 Delays of 80 minutes following A12 crashes
- 6 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
- 7 Ipswich Town players' FIFA 22 ratings revealed
- 8 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 9 'We have formed a successful partnership' - Morsy on his Evans reunion
- 10 Suffolk shops struggling to secure fresh meat as CO2 concerns deepen
Last year saw the addition of the ‘Golden Mile’ race to the day’s activities, organised in partnership with the Stowmarket Striders. The race attracted well over 200 runners, each making their way from Pikes Meadow to the Recreation Ground, with the winner finishing in an impressive four minutes and 35 seconds.
Following last year’s success, the race will take place again.
Mr Marsh said: “Last year’s event was great, the Stowmarket Striders and Trust Maria really added to the festivities, so we’re really pleased that we’ll be working in partnership with them again.
“The event has always been about creating a day out that the whole family could enjoy together without spending a fortune.
“We’ve received some great support from all the town councillors, Suffolk county councillor Stephen Searle, Vantage, Gipping Press and The Magpie.
“Without all of these people’s generosity and community spirit, we wouldn’t be able to stage such a big event.”
The beach party takes place from 2pm until 9.45pm at the Stowmarket Recreation Ground, IP14 1JR.