Therberton: Maui Waui electro swing festival returns this weekend
- Credit: Archant
The Maui Waui Festival returns to Peakhill Farm, Theberton, to put an electro swing in your step this weekend.
Combining the swing, jazz and big band sounds of 1920s and 1930s artists like Cab Calloway and Benny Goodman with modern day dance production techniques such as loops and samples it’s expanded to four stages as well as the main circus tent and two other arenas.
“We’re delighted to be hosting the second Maui Waui Festival, following the success of last year and now we are bringing music from Italy, Germany, France, Spain, Norfolk and especially Suffolk,” says Silas Rayner, promoting the event alongside Oliver Platt.
“I hope everyone will enjoy the musical crossovers that occur with nearly every act at Maui Waui, absorbing old traditional sounds and spinning it back out in everyone’s own unique style. Electro Swing has become more and more popular and all our music evenings have been sell-outs and following the huge success of last years event we intend to make the Maui Waui Festival an annual happening.”
Running from today to Sunday, headliners include an unplugged set from Brixton acid-house country band Alabama 3 whose song Woke Up This Morning will be familiar to fans of the TV show The Sopranos. Other acts include the Max Pashm Swing Band, Sweet Life Society, Sugar Foot Stomp, Sweetbeats, Vagaband and more.
You may also want to watch:
Music is just part of what’s going on over the weekend. There’s also circus acts, cabaret, fire shows and plenty of entertainment for kids with entry free for under 12s.
This year they are also auctioning the Maui Waui Art Collection on Sunday afternoon to raise money for St Elizabeth Hospice.
- 1 A12 closed following serious collision
- 2 Man taken to hospital after 40ft container drops on lorry cab
- 3 Former Town defender could be in the frame to become Cook's No.2 after Richardson blow
- 4 Woodbridge bar owner to fight £1,000 fine for Covid rule breach
- 5 Why have ITFC's American owners issued £18m of new shares?
- 6 Car SOS to feature family who lost father and son
- 7 French pop-up restaurant owner unveils new seaside hotel plan
- 8 A blow for Cook as trusted assistant Richardson gets full-time Wigan job
- 9 Missing person from Braintree has been found
- 10 Woman in critical condition and man arrested after serious A12 crash
“Come visit the Maui Waui Dressing Room, situated in the main stage. We have a whole range of things for you to try on all for free. Let the Flavour Parlour transform your hair and make up and put a sparkle on your smile,” adds Silas.
“For those who are new, get your glad rags on, you’ll be dancing. Look out for all that’s on offer from the Main Stage to Frank’s Bar. Sit down in Theatre Soleil, watch neck bent high as the circus is in full sway
“Flip up and duck as you walking into the Crime Scene, it’s a den of iniquity bouncing beats up through your chest and out through your head – watch out there’s some rum old folk in there... There’s so much going on, too much to mention here – go on now! Come join us.”
For more details visit www.mauiwauievents.co.uk