UK: Ed Sheeran set to top album charts
SUFFOLK pop sensation Ed Sheeran looks set for a number one this weekend as fans snap up his debut album.
The 20-year-old’s album, +, is at number one in the midweek charts and is currently outselling his nearest five rivals combined.
The 12-track album was released on Sunday and some of the first to get their hands on a copy were at the HMV store in Ipswich, where 1,000 fans queued to meet their idol at a signing session.
Ed, from Framlingham, has seen a meteoric rise to fame this year, with two top 5 singles, a string of sold-out tour dates, and appearances at the Glastonbury, Reading and Leeds festivals.
If + does make number one, it will be the first chart-topping album from a Suffolk act since Lowestoft band The Darkness hit the top spot in 2003 with their debut album Permission to Land.
Ipswich’s Nik Kershaw sold millions of copies of his hit albums Human Racing and The Riddle in the 1980s, but they stalled at numbers five and eight respectively in the UK album charts.
- 1 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 2 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 3 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 4 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 5 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 6 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 7 'The bigger picture is the result' - Cook on Crewe win
- 8 Ipswich Town 2-1 Crewe Alexandra: Celina brilliance just about enough to see Blues home
- 9 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Crewe win
- 10 Obituary: Owner of huge collection of vintage tractors dies aged 75