Video: Film of the week - Black Swan
MUCH hyped Black Swan, starring Natalie Portman, is the choice of films released this week - and it more than lives up to the hype...
Film: Black Swan
Duration: 108 mins
Starring: Natalie Portman, Mila Kunis, Vincent Cassell, Winona Ryder, Barbara Hershey
You may also want to watch:
Director: Darren Aronofsky
Artistic director Thomas Leroy (Cassel) presides over a ballet company at New York’s Lincoln Center, all too aware that his productions have lost their edge.
- 1 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 2 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 3 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 4 New online booking system for Suffolk recycling centres
- 5 Fuller Flavour: Can we sign Bonne permanently, please?
- 6 'We are sorry' - Council apologises for letting SEND children in Suffolk down
- 7 A14 reopens after serious crash leaves road closed for several hours
- 8 Five fire engines called to red deer trapped in tree
- 10 Three vehicle crash causing delays near Ipswich
Thus he very publicly terminates the services of prima ballerina Beth Macintyre (Ryder) and chooses Nina Sayers (Portman) as her replacement to lead an erotically charged new staging of Swan Lake.
Nina is technically gifted but she struggles to express her emotions on stage, which causes friction with Thomas.
Soon after, sensual ballerina Lily (Kunis) is cast as understudy to the lead role and Nina feels threatened.
Harangued by her mother (Hershey), a former dancer who gave up everything to raise a family, Nina wrestles with fear and paranoia, teetering on the brink of an emotional breakdown.