Video: Film of the week - The Fighter
OSCAR nominated boxing biopic The Fighter, starring Mark Wahlberg and Christian Bale, is the pick of films out in cinemas this week.
Film: The Fighter
Duration: 115 mins
You may also want to watch:
Starring: Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale, Amy Adams, Melissa Leo, Jack McGee
Director: David O Russell
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 3 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 4 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 5 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 6 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 7 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 8 'Poor' infection control at care home sees used Covid test swab left in pile of clean PPE
- 9 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 10 Match Ratings: How Town players performed against Wednesday
The true story of Micky Ward (Wahlberg), a talented boxer from Lowell, Massachusetts, languishing in the shadow of his half brother Dicky (Bale), who famously knocked down the legendary Sugar Ray Leonard then lost everything to the ravages of drugs and crime.
Trained by Dicky and managed by his monstrous mother, Alice (Leo), Micky accepts lacklustre fights for scant rewards until he is persuaded to cut himself loose from his loved ones and aim for glory.
New girlfriend Charlene (Adams), who works in a local bar, encourages Micky to follow his dreams, incurring the wrath of the rest of the Ward clan, who resent outsiders from interfering in family business.
Sure enough, Micky tastes victory and as his confidence grows, he faces the possibility of a shot at the world light welterweight title.