‘Voice of golf’ delights fans
FELIXSTOWE: He is widely regarded as one of the best commentators of his generation.
And last night Peter “the voice of golf” Alliss delighted a packed Spa Pavilion in Felixstowe.
The 79-year-old was visiting Suffolk as part of his “Evening with…” tour.
Ambling onto the stage wearing a cardigan and sporting some rather fetching bright red socks, all he needed was a pair of slippers and a roaring fire place and you could have been in his living room.
He engaged the audience in the style all golf fans would recognise from his commentary – warm-hearted anecdotes with a laid back humour that made you feel as if he was intimately chatting to an old friend.
You may also want to watch:
The first half featured a potted history of the Alliss family and how he got into the world of golf following in the footsteps of his father.
After the break he took questions from the audience and described how he stumbled into commentary because he was “not a renowned practicer” so would have a spare morning or afternoon while playing in tournaments.
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 'One of the favourites for the division' - Fleetwood boss Grayson on Town
- 3 13 Fire engines attend blaze at sugar beet factory
- 4 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 5 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 6 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 7 Five floating restaurants to visit in Suffolk
- 8 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 9 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
This is Alliss’ first ever theatre tour of Britain and the thoroughly enjoyable evening came to an end all too soon – with such a wealth of knowledge about the game and so many stories to tell lets hope it is not his last.