Woodbridge: Award nod for pub a year after opening
A Suffolk pub and restaurant has been chosen as a finalist for a national industry award.
The British Larder, in Bromeswell, near Woodbridge, was selected in the best gastropub category for the East Anglia region in the Great British Pub Awards - a search to find Britain’s top pubs and licensees.
The news coincided with the first anniversary of the pub, owned by Punch Taverns, and was warmly greeted by licensees Ross Pike and Madalene Bonvini-Hamel, who said: “Everyone is excited.
“We do our utmost to comply with the rules we set ourselves and put genuine emphasis on local business and produce. People can see we offer something different.
“We have some fabulous things on the menu, like the Dingley Dell pork tasting platter and some fantastic fish.”
A member of the judging panel was impressed by a visit to the pub earlier this year and even bought a pot of homemade jam from the bar.
The awards, run by the Publican’s Morning Advertiser and announced on September 8 at The Hilton in London, recognise licensees across the country in a broad range of categories.
- 1 Trio jailed as travellers' site shooting described as 'like a movie scene'
- 2 Major west Suffolk road reopens after lorry and car crash
- 3 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 4 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 5 Member of staff assaulted in armed robbery at west Suffolk Post Office
- 6 Battle of the caretakers, good omens and McGreal's possible rejig... Charlton v Ipswich
- 7 Historic pub and restaurant to reopen after £150,000 investment
- 8 Karaoke noise complaints prompts fear Grade II pub could close
- 9 'Selection is down to the manager' - Town CEO Ashton on Norwood's absence
- 10 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
Martin Obey, of Punch Taverns, said: “We have nominated the British Larder in the best gastropub category due to the quality and range of their food offer which sets them apart from the competition, whilst embracing the pub as the hub of the community.
“Congratulations to Ross and Madalene for reaching the final and we’re wishing them the best of luck.”