What’s coming up at The Quay Theatre?
- Credit: Archant
Sharon Buckler, manager at Sudbury’s wonderful Quay Theatre takes a look at what’s on there over the coming weeks.
Can you believe we’re in August?
Panto rehearsals will be beginning before we know it – it really feels like a couple of months since the last one!
It’s really advisable to start booking for this year while I’m on the subject.
Robin Hood will be transposed to Sudbury for the duration of December in a new adaptation by Mike Fahie-Wilson and Bez Berry.
You may also want to watch:
Of course, before we head into the forest we have a ridiculous amount of diverse shows and screenings coming up, kicking off with a live screening from Glyndebourne on Tuesday, August 14 at 6.30pm.
‘Vanessa’ is a rare opportunity to see Barber’s Pulitzer Prize-winning work – opera from the age of Hitchcock, with an atmospheric score and tense, psychological twists.
- 1 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 2 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 3 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 4 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 5 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 6 Suspected drink driver flees scene after car destroyed in crash
- 7 Delays of 80 minutes following A12 crashes
- 8 Ipswich Town players' FIFA 22 ratings revealed
- 9 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 10 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
Abandoned by her lover Anatol, Vanessa retreats from the world, waiting and hoping with only her mother and her niece Erika for company.
But when, 20 years later, Anatol’s handsome young son arrives unexpectedly, he shatters the calm of this shuttered household of women. Past and present love collides, and the aftershocks threaten to destroy them all. The Telegraph, which gives it a 5 star review, says ‘This magnificent, soaring Vanessa deserves a wider audience’ – and here we are giving it to you.
Now, music of a different and dare I say, sweatier kind comes in the perfectly formed and superbly named band ‘Wrong Jovi’ on Saturday, August 25. This A+ tribute act tore the house down last year with their slick renditions of Bon Jovi’s back catalogue.
Wrong Jovi have one of the UK’s most talented front men leading the band through some of rock ‘n’ roll’s most legendary songs.
Ally is backed by some of the UKs most highly respected musicians. With attention to detail in sound and performance, Wrong Jovi were described as “better than the real thing” by Club 85, Hitchin at their very first gig.
Come and see what all the fuss is about, but be warned, last year frontman Ally Ward’s trousers split mid-song so those of a weak disposition may need to look away! There are very few tickets left available…
For more information on any of the shows coming up at the Quay, or to book, visit the website at www.quaysudbury.com or call the box office on 01787 374745.