Transfer rumours: Time running out for De Gea as England vets set to move
With the January transfer window now in its first full week, Edmund Crosthwaite takes a look at some of the potential deals rumoured in today’s papers.
Perhaps the biggest shock rumour is Man United boss Sir Alex Ferguson being prepared to ditch Spanish goalkeeper David De Gea, report the Mirror. Apparently SAF feels he’s given De Gea plenty of chances to fill the number one shirt at Old Trafford but doesn’t feel the ‘keeper hasn’t impressed enough since his move from Atletico Madrid.
Another ‘keeper who’s been rumoured to be on the move for a while is Birmingham’s Jack Butland. The youngster is being touted as a �6m target for Arsenal but Fulham and Southampton are also said to be interested, according to the Daily Star.
The Saints are also in for Cagliari defender Davide Astori and currently look the favourites to sign him having gazumped Liverpool’s bid of �7m. The Premier League new boys have offered �9.5m for the 25-year-old two-time Italian international.
In London, QPR are chasing French striker Loic Remy and are ready to offer his current club Marseille �11m. The 26-year-old has played 17 times for France and is also interesting Newcastle and West Ham, but Rangers boss Harry Redknapp may use the fact Marseille want to keep QPRs Joey Barton on loan as a bargaining tool, say the Express.
You may also want to watch:
A few England oldies are also looking at moving on, with David Beckham and Frank Lampard the two main men mentioned by the Mirror. Golden Balls could be on his way to West Ham, with Sam Allardyce refusing to rule out a move for the midfielder. Lampard has been told by Stamford Bridge officials he won’t get a new contract in the summer and may choose to leave the club sooner rather than later.
The big-money rumour of the day unsurprisingly involves Man City as they ready a �45m bid for Edinson Cavani. The 25-year-old, who plays in Italy for Napoli, could be a replacement for Mario Balotelli.
- 1 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 2 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 3 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 4 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 5 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 6 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 7 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 8 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 9 Woodbridge 'cheese wedge' site goes back up for sale
- 10 Evans returns to Town side for Millwall clash