Two ex-Canaries fly to Braintree
BRAINTREE Town have bolstered their squad, ahead of a second season in the Blue Square Premier, by capturing two ex-Norwich City players.
Iron boss Alan Devonshire has snapped up midfielder Josh Dawkin and left-back Sam Habergham, who had both been on the books of the Canaries.
Dawkin, 20, was released by Norwich this summer, having had loan spells in the Blue Square Premier with Kettering and Cambridge United last term.
He made a couple of appearances for Norwich, both in the Carling Cup in 2009.
Habergham, also 20, came up through the Academy at Carrow Road but never made a senior appearance for the Norfolk club.
However, Habergham looks a suitable replacement for fellow left-back Aswad Thomas, who left Braintree to join Grimsby Town earlier this month.
Habergham left Norwich in 2011, and went on to make 35 appearances for Tamworth in Blue Square Premier last season.
- 1 Major west Suffolk reopens after lorry and car crash
- 2 McGreal named interim boss as Cook's coaches all depart
- 3 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
- 4 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 5 Trio jailed as travellers' site shooting described as 'like a movie scene'
- 6 'It was unanimous... this season's not dead' - Ashton on why Town sacked Cook
- 7 Member of staff assaulted in armed robbery at west Suffolk Post Office
- 8 Ashton on whether a new boss is lined up, the type of manager he's searching for, possible reunions and Town's timeframe for an appointment
- 9 Morsy on 'shock' of Cook sacking and McGreal's message
- 10 North Stander: We've become a sacking club - and that makes me uneasy
Both Dawkin and Habergham are expected to play in Iron’s first pre-season friendly, away at Thurlow Nunn League Division One club Long Melford tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon.
Braintree’s other two summer signings, former Exeter City midfielder Callum McNish and left-sided midfielder Danny Sparkes, should also be in action.
Of his two most recent signings, Devonshire said: “Josh (Dawkin) has an excellent pedigree with Norwich and is hungry for success.
“With his pace, Josh gives us lots of options going forward.
“Sam (Habergham) impressed me last season when I saw him play for Tamworth, and I’m confident he will do really well for us.”
It has been a busy close-season at Cressing Road. In addition to welcoming four new recruits, the Essex club have lost three of their key players from last season.
Striker Ben Wright (to Forest Green), midfielder Jai Reason (to Eastleigh) and defender Thomas (to Grimsby) have all left over the last couple of months.