VIDEO: Sir Bobby Charlton praises David Sheepshanks and St George’s Park
ENGLAND World Cup-winning hero Sir Bobby Charlton, pictured above, has heaped lavish praise on the work of David Sheepshanks and his team at St George’s Park.
One of the heroes of the Sir Alf Ramsey-masterminded success in 1966 witnessed the 350-acre site for the first time on Thursday and was left hugely impressed.
And Charlton’s role in the World Cup success, scoring three times including both goals in the 2-1 semi-final win over Portugal, saw Sheepshanks bestow a special honour on the former Manchester United man.
The ‘Sir Bobby Charlton suite’ is the new name of the on-site hotel’s most prestigious room, which will be used by the England manager and other VIP guests.
After being given the tour, Charlton said: “To be good, you have to have the best facilities and here we have the best facilities that I have ever seen.
You may also want to watch:
“It is obvious that we (football) are going in the right direction and the Football Association need to be complemented for having the foresight to finish this – it is absolutely sensational.
“The fact that you named a room after me has made my day.”
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 3 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 4 £1m renovation on Suffolk castle will change the appearance
- 5 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 6 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 7 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 8 'I'm very lucky' – Ipswich biker-chef lost arm and hand in A14 crash
- 9 Revealed: The most popular names for babies born in Suffolk in 2020
- 10 21-year-old airlifted to hospital after car crashes into trees
The national football centre was 30 years in the pipeline and had be dragged down in the past by bitter in-fighting over the direction of the project.
But after witnessing the work first-hand, Charlton has no doubts about its future benefit.
He added: “It is a credit to everyone. It has been a long time since we won the World Cup, but one day soon we will again and it will be because we bit the bullet.
“Congratulations to everyone – I think it will be a resounding success.”
In reply, Sheepshanks added: “It has been our thrill and privilege to show you around. Your words inspire us.”